JCPenney Recognized for Military Support
Retailer Named to Victory Media's 2014 Military Friendly Employer® List
Company Celebrating Veteran's Day With 20 Percent Off Military Discount
PLANO, Texas (November 11, 2013) - J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE: JCP) has been named to Victory Media's 2014 Military Friendly Employer list. The criteria used by Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs and Military Spouse magazines, included a benchmark score across key programs and policies such as the strength of JCPenney's military recruiting efforts, the percentage of new hires with prior military service, retention programs and company policies on National Guard and Reserve service.
"The recognition of the men and women who make our freedom possible is a cause close to the hearts and minds of both our associates and our customers," said Miki Woodard, vice president of philanthropy at JCPenney. "Given all the sacrifices service members make to serve our country, we're doing our part as a leading American retailer to show our military support - whether its through programs that make our military customers' lives a little easier or committing to making our company a military friendly workplace."
The recognition builds on JCPenney's history of military support. Along with providing all current and former military personnel and family members of active duty, reserves, guard and retirees a 20 percent in-store discount from Nov. 6-11 to celebrate Veteran's Day this month, JCPenney's military support has included:
- The USO (United Service Organizations) was JCPenney's premier partner for it jcp cares charitable giving program, which invites customers to round up their purchases to support the retailer's featured charity partner each month. Along with customer contributions made in July 2012, JCPenney donated $2.8 million to the USO, a nonprofit, congressionally chartered, private organization dedicated to lifting the spirits of America's troops and their families. Additionally, JCPenney arranged for a private performance by singer Blake Shelton for Ft. Drum soldiers and their families and donated furniture to a number of USO facilities. The USO will once again be the Company's jcp cares partner this December.
- In July 2013, JCPenney hosted an ESGR (Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve) signing event at its corporate headquarters, pledging to recognize, honor and enforce USERRA (the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act) and support the country's service members in peace time and in war.
- JCPenney teamed up with Allies in Service, a local Dallas/Fort Worth veteran non-profit, to hold a "Basic Training" event at its corporate headquarters in July 2013. JCPenney human resource professionals offered their time and expertise to local veterans looking for employment by providing interview training, resume writing tips and more.
- In May 2013, JCPenney was a contributing sponsor for Carry The Load's (CTL) Memorial Day walk in Dallas. CTL exists to restore meaning to Memorial Day by building awareness and raising funds to honor, remember and help those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to keep our country safe. Along with a $25,000 Company donation, JCPenney associates volunteered and participated in the walk and helped to raise an additional $10,000 for the cause.
- JCPenney serves as a corporate sponsor of the Family Services Circle of Excellence, part of the Bush Institute's Military Service Initiative. The program supports the military community by recruiting Leadership Fellows from the ranks of retired four-star Generals to work with military, non-profit organizations, academia and businesses to research, develop and implement solutions that will assist individuals with jobs in the civilian workforce, housing, continuing education, family services, healthcare and unique issues facing women service members.
- In 2010 and 2011, JCPenney teamed up with the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA), the nation's first and largest non-profit, nonpartisan organization for veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, to launch "Welcome Heroes." The national campaign provided Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with more than $2 million in apparel and footwear to start new professional wardrobes as they enter the civilian workforce.
- JCPenney also boasts a military support associate affinity group, HEROES, which is dedicated to identifying both best practices and new ways to improve how JCPenney supports its military associates and their families.
JCPenney Media Relations Kate Coultas -- 972-431-3400 or email@example.comAbout JCPenney:
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE: JCP), one of the nation's largest apparel and home furnishing retailers, is dedicated to becoming America's preferred retail destination for unmatched style, quality and value. Across 1,100 stores and at jcp.com, customers will discover an inspiring shopping environment that features the most sought after collection of private, national and exclusive brands and attractions. For more information, please visit jcp.com.
Released November 11, 2013