New Mobile Initiatives Bring Style, Quality and Compelling Prices Directly to Customers' Fingertips
PLANO, Texas, Nov 18, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) --
Just in time for the important holiday shopping season, JCPenney has launched new innovative mobile initiatives, including a mobile commerce site, location based check-in offers, enhancements to its mobile apps, and an exciting mobile experience via Apple(R)'s iAd platform. Building on the Company's successful mobile coupon program, these new mobile initiatives bring the retailer's style, quality and compelling prices directly to customers' fingertips.
"As new technology continues to deploy in the marketplace, we are constantly on the forefront, investing in the latest opportunities to reach our customers," said Tom Nealon, group executive vice president of JCPenney. "We have always been committed to offering relevant shopping experiences to our customers. As smart phone, text messaging, and mobile web browsing usage continue to grow, mobile is quickly becoming the next frontier in online shopping. We're focused on continually developing mobile experiences that engage our customers and allow them to easily make purchases directly from their mobile device."
JCPenney's mobile initiatives are part of the Company's investment in its overall digital platform, which also includes jcp.com, social media and its in-store FindMore(TM) smart fixture. The smart fixture integrates the retailer's online and offline stores by providing customers an interactive touch screen experience that allows them to view and purchase items from jcp.com while in a JCPenney store. JCPenney's mobile initiatives include:
- Mobile commerce site - m.jcp.com features an alternate template of jcp.com, designed specifically for mobile phone use, allowing customers to easily find and purchase items from JCPenney directly from their phone. In addition to full m-commerce capabilities, unique features included in the JCPenney mobile site include a store locator with a "Find Near Me" button that uses a phone's GPS to provide driving directions to nearby retail locations.
- Location based check-in offers - Through the use of location based check-in technology, JCPenney is reaching out to customers in a new and innovative way by engaging customers when they are in or near a JCPenney store. This season, when customers "check-in" to any of JCPenney's more than 1,100 locations on their smart phone using Foursquare(TM), Brightkite(TM) or Facebook(R) Deals via Facebook Places, a special $10 off $50 purchase will be delivered directly to their phone.
- Mobile app enhancements - Using JCPenney's free mobile apps available on iPhone, iPad and Android, customers can browse the latest weekend sales circular; create a "portable" shopping list within the application by saving items as "favorites;" find the nearest store to either their current GPS location or to a zip code/city name; access interactive jcp.com experiences; and sign-up for mobile coupons. New features launching this season include the option for customers to make purchases directly from the app and also the ability to view their JCP Rewards account, where they can check their points and access their $10 reward coupon.
- iAd - JCPenney is among the first companies to connect with consumers through Apple's new iAd platform with a rich, interactive mobile ad reaching millions of iPhone and iPod touch users right in their favorite apps. The Company has launched an iAd this holiday season featuring a gift hunting game, encouraging users to find a $10 off $50 coupon as they explore an assortment of JCPenney gifts. Users can also text lists of gift items to themselves or friends for easy reference when Christmas shopping in store or via JCPenney's mobile commerce site. Users can also access a convenient store locator tool and download the JCPenney iPhone app.
- Mobile coupons - The first home and apparel retailer to offer mobile coupons, JCPenney launched mobile coupons earlier this year, allowing customers to opt in to receive weekly coupons sent via text to their mobile phones. Customers simply show the code on their mobile phone to a JCPenney associate for in-store purchases or enter the online code when shopping on jcp.com. Customers can text JOIN to 527365 (JCP365) to sign-up for mobile coupons or sign-up via jcp.com. Customers can also access current coupons anytime on their iPhone or Android phone if they have loaded the JCPenney app.
This press release has an accompanying Smart Marketing Page providing further details about the organization, products and services introduced above. You can access the Smart Marketing Page via the following link: http://www.businesswire.com/smp/jcpenney-mobile-leadership/.
JCPenney, one of America's leading retailers, operates over 1,100 department stores throughout the United States and Puerto Rico, as well as one of the largest apparel and home furnishing sites on the Internet, jcp.com. Serving more than half of America's families each year, JCPenney offers a wide array of private, exclusive and national brands which reflect the Company's vision to be America's shopping destination for discovering great styles at compelling prices. Traded as "JCP" on the New York Stock Exchange, the $17.6 billion retailer is transforming its organization to support its Long Range Plan strategies to build a sustainable, profitable enterprise that serves its customers, engages it associates and rewards its shareholders. For more information visit www.jcpenney.net.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6512278&lang=en
SOURCE: J. C. Penney Company, Inc.
JCPenney Corporate Communications
(business and trade media relations):
April Dinwoodie or Kate Coultas, 972-431-3400